Have you ever been to a party where you immediately knew who was the “life of the party?” They seem to connect with everybody in the room and are on everyone’s invitation list. One houseguest who is eager to be invited to your Redding home is the social house mouse. This rodent looks for any invitation into your home; it will make itself quite comfortable once it gets in.
What Everybody Ought To Know About House Mice In Redding
If you happen to see a mouse running about your home, it is most likely a house mouse. They are a common invader of homes. People may not give them a second thought until they start damaging their homes and spreading disease.
House mice have the following physical characteristics:
- Four legs and a rounded body
- Dusty-gray color though sometimes light brown to dark gray
- Creamy underbelly
- Large, fur-covered ears
- Small black eyes
- Pointed nose
- Range from 2½ inches to 3¾ inches long
- Tails measure from 2¾ inches to 4 inches long.
Because populations have expanded and more people occupy their natural habitats, house mice have become increasingly dependent on humans for food, water, and shelter. Humans often offer house mice a cozy sanctuary with an all-you-can-eat buffet. These fuzzy critters know a good deal when they see it.
Little-Known Dangers And Damages Caused By House Mice
House mice are not as innocent as they may look. When they enter your home, they bring a whole host of problems with them. These problems can range from damaging your property to damaging your health.
A breakdown of the problems caused by house mouse are as follows:
- House mice contaminate stored food.
- They carry diseases through their feces such as salmonella.
- They spread other illnesses through direct contact, such as rat-bite fever.
- Urine and droppings can cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks, especially in children.
- House mice carry lice, mites, ticks, and fleas; these pests can bring additional pest infestations.
Property Damage Threats
- House mice chew through electrical wires, causing fire hazards.
- They ruin woodwork with their constant gnawing.
- Nesting damages insulation in walls and attics.
- House mice ruin clothing, memorabilia, frames, books, and papers.
- Musky odors may permeate your home.
- They leave urine trails.
Even some of the best home defenses cannot prevent these rascals from getting into your home. If you have a gap in your home as small as a dime, they can get inside. Homeowners need eagle eyes to spot every potential weakness in their home’s defense.
Secrets To House Mice Prevention In Redding
Mice can indeed get into small spaces, but that doesn’t mean homeowners should give up trying to prevent them from accessing their homes. Homeowners can take steps to limit their exposure to house mouse invasions.
Six steps to consider are the following:
- Eliminating water sources inside and outside
- Decluttering areas where items are stored
- Keeping the home clean and cleaning spills and crumbs quickly
- Using glass or metal containers with tight-fitting lids to store food
- Sealing holes, voids, cracks, gaps with silicone-based caulk
- Securing trash cans with tight lids
It may seem like a lot to do but preventing mice is far simpler than trying to remove an active infestation.
The Best Way To Remove House Mice From Your Redding Home
Even with the most vigilant prevention, the clever house mouse can find ways into your home. Why waste time, energy, and money trying to get rid of them yourself? The pest professionals at Redding Spray Services are ready to provide efficient and personalized service to our customers. Our small business has big business resources in addition to our 30+ years of pest removal expertise. Contact Redding Spray Services today for reliable services that work.