There is no denying that cockroaches are hideous and terrifying-looking pests. Many people, however, do not stop to question if these pests are as dangerous and problematic as they look. We are here to tell you that they are. Cockroaches are considered one of the more dangerous pests in America and should be on the top of your list of pests you don’t want crawling around inside your home. To help you understand and get cockroaches off your Redding property, this is what you need to know.
Facts About Cockroaches
With a bit of observation, there is a lot a person can learn about the common cockroach. If you have never spent time watching these pests and would rather not, here are some basic facts you should know.
- A cockroach can run 50 times its body length every second and doesn’t break pace when shifting from floors, to walls, to ceilings. In addition to this, one-day-old roaches are almost as fast as their parents.
- A cockroach can live up to a week without its head, a week without water, and a month without food.
- A female cockroach mates once and stays pregnant for life.
- A cockroach can withstand five times more radiation than the average human.
- A female cockroach does not lay individual eggs but rather groups of them inside egg capsules.
The Dangers Of Cockroaches
There are annoying pests, and then there are those that pose a serious risk to human health. Cockroaches are both. Not only is it uncomfortable to share a living area with these insects, but it is also dangerous. Roaches in our area can carry and transmit thirty-three different bacteria, seven harmful human pathogens, and six parasitic worms. People pick up these disease-causing organisms by interacting with areas where cockroaches have been or by eating food contaminated by these pests.
If you have asthma or other respiratory problems having a cockroach infestation in your home is dangerous for a different reason. Cockroach fecal matter and their shed skins are very similar to dust and are lifted into the air by indoor air currents. We don’t have to tell you why this would be a problem.
Ten Prevention Tips For Roaches
- Use a caulking gun to seal gaps and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation and spacing around window and door frames.
- Make sure your home’s window and door screens are in good condition.
- Install door sweeps beneath exterior doors that do not already have them.
- Clean out your gutters and fix any damage you find that affects their ability to channel water away from your home.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures inside and around your house.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors, especially around basements, crawl spaces, and kitchens.
- Thoroughly clean beneath kitchen appliances and in other hard-to-reach areas around your home.
- Clean up food messes and drink spills as they occur.
- Store leftover food inside airtight glass, metal, or plastic containers.
- Wash out your pet’s food and water bowls before going to bed at night.
What You Need To Do To Control Cockroaches
If you want to remove a cockroach infestation from your home and guarantee these pests stay out for good, you need professional pest control. At Redding Spray Service, we offer comprehensive options to control cockroaches through every season. From detailed inspections to high-quality treatments, we have everything your home needs to combat annoying, dangerous, and destructive area pests.